Technically, Delaware does not declare snow emergencies. However, the state has a three-level system of driving warnings and restrictions.
The levels are found in Title 20 of the Delaware Code, Subsection 3116(b)(12) and may be put in effect by the Governor during a State of Emergency for all or parts of Delaware based on conditions.
Below is a summary of the three levels:
Level 1: Driving Warning: Drivers are discouraged from operating a motor vehicle on the state’s roadways, unless there is a significant safety, health or business reason to do so.
Level 2: Driving Restriction: Travel on the roads is restricted to emergency workers, public utilities, healthcare providers including hospital staff, public and private operators of snow removal equipment, private sector food and fuel deliveries, and those industries, companies or organizations that have been provided a waiver, including businesses with pressing continuity and operational issues.
Level 3: Driving Ban: Complete ban on driving except for first responders, utility personnel, and public or private snow removal. Businesses and organizations should adjust work schedules so that employees do not need to be on the roads during a Level 3 Driving Ban.
Written on: January 10th, 2014 in Route 26
DelDOT contractor, George & Lynch, is scheduled to begin the Route 26 roadway widening project on Monday, Jan 13.
This is the anticipated schedule of activities and lane closures during the Route 26 project, Jan. 13 through Jan. 24:
Jan. 13 through Jan. 17:
George & Lynch will be clearing and grubbing the south side of Route 26, from Powell Farm Road to Route 17 (Roxana Road). No lane closures are expected.
Jan. 21 through Jan. 24.
George & Lynch will be clearing and grubbing the south side of Route 26, from Powell Farm Road to Route 17 (Roxana Road) Expect the eastbound road to be close.
We will continue to provide updates on upcoming work on Route 26 as information becomes available. As always, we thank you for your patience.
Delaware Department of Transportation road crews have suspended road-clearing activities, but remain on-call. According to DelDOT, all of the state’s primary and secondary roads are now clear or wet. Air and road temperatures are significantly above freezing, statewide.
Delaware Department of Transportation crews in New Castle County continue to plow and salt roads, as needed, while rain falls throughout the county. DelDOT crews in Kent County remain on-call. However, they report that the county’s primary and secondary roads are clear or wet. DelDOT crews in Sussex County are completing work on secondary roads and in subdivisions. They report that primary roads there are clear or wet. Air and surface temperatures throughout Delaware have risen above freezing, and the National Weather Service has canceled the Freezing Rain Advisory it put in place for New Castle this morning.
Due to freezing rain, and surface temperatures below freezing, the Delaware Department of Transportation advises motorists to stay off of New Castle County roads. If anyone must venture out into dangerous conditions, he or she should know what to do if his or her vehicle becomes hopelessly stuck. The AAA offers this advice:
Freezing rain is now falling throughout New Castle County. Delaware Department of Transportation crews are responding to icy conditions, as needed, while continuing to plow roads and spread salt on roads that remain dangerous after last week’s snow storm. Surface temperatures remain below freezing throughout Delaware.
The National Weather Service has issued a Freezing Rain Advisory for New Castle County. The advisory will remain in effect from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. The NWS expects ice accumulations of less than a tenth of an inch on northern Delaware roads. Untreated roads and sidewalks could become hazardous, and travel could become difficult. Drivers should be prepared for slippery roads and should not follow other vehicles as closely as they normally would. Temperatures will be in the teens and 20s this morning and rise about freezing by early afternoon.
The Delaware Department of Transportation has predicted a 30 percent to 40 percent chance of freezing rain after midnight and early Sunday morning. Also, ice and snow from the Jan. 3 storm remain on some of Delaware’s primary and secondary roads — in addition to most of its minor roads and in subdivisions. If you must drive tonight, please be aware of these especially dangerous situations and drive appropriately:
Most primary roads in New Castle County are now wet or clear, although some icy patches remain on Del. 1 in the southern part of the county. Primary roads in Kent County are also now wet or clear. Primary roads in Sussex County are now wet with patches of ice. A portion of secondary roads in New Castle and Kent are wet or clear, although secondary roads in Sussex remain snow-covered. Most Delaware Department of Transportation road crews will have gone home for the night after 9 p.m. Most will resume plowing roads and spreading salt and sand on Sunday morning.
Written on: January 4th, 2014 in Alert Messages, Elkton Road, Ellendale, Georgetown, I-95 Delaware Toll Plaza, I95/SR1 Interchange, Indian River Inlet Bridge, Kent, Milford, Millsboro, New Castle, Route 1, Route 26, Route 40, Route 54, Safety, Sussex, US113, US301, Weather Related Notices
Freezing rain could affect Delaware roads Sunday morning. According to the Delaware Department of Transportation, New Castle County faces a 30 percent to 40 percent chance of freezing rain between 4 a.m. and 8 a.m. Kent County faces a 30 percent chance of freezing rain between 12 a.m. and early morning. And Sussex County faces a 30 percent chance of freezing rain between 12 a.m. and early morning. With a fresh onslaught of Arctic air expected to arrive in the early week, DelDOT expects temperatures to remain below freezing. The department recommends that drivers keep their fuel tanks at least half-filled and to dress appropriately in case they become stranded.