Written on: September 26th, 2011 in Indian River Inlet Bridge
The final 10-foot closure pour over the inlet is expected to occur by early November. Recent weather conditions (Hurricane Irene, and remnants of Tropical Storm Lee) have impacted the project and created some schedule delays. These delays could push some future weather-dependent activities into the early winter period thereby hindering construction efficiency towards the end the project. The Department continues to work with the Design-Builder on modifications that will limit the future weather risks and allow for the opening of the bridge to traffic towards the end of the year. The schedule will continue to be monitored closely and any changes will be reported.
Indian River Inlet Roadway and Approaches: The contractor has placed the first course of hot-mix on the approach roads north and south of the inlet; foamed concrete placement is continuing in the south approach abutment area.